Monday, February 26, 2007

What's Going on in Their Head, These Surrealist Poets...

It’s been awhile since I’ve ridden a bike.
When men are idle they’ll hold a hand to their face.

Although I can honestly say I can only remotely grasp short phrases, or sometimes only words, within surrealist poetry it’s these few words that leave me questioning and wording. What the hell is going on??? Is it truly “normal” to refer to a bike, a beaver, and REO Speedwagon within 3 lines of a poem? Probably not, to the ordinary eye, but to the surrealist it seems the “odder” the poem or art piece the better. So as a reader, what do we do with Craig and other surrealist poets?
The part that gets me the most is the awkward twists that occur just about the time I am sucked into an idea. For instance in the poem April:
A scraping sound,
Like someone writing his name
in big letters
in the gravel with a Wiffle bat.

It’s the sound of my shoes
skidding over the ground
as I’m dragged by my armpits
in short bursts
from the Buick into the woods.

It all makes me think of
the shadow of a waterfall,
a description of a church,
the absence of metaphor.

These are my last thoughts
is what I’m thinking,
my cardigan ruined,
the Buick almost out of view.

This first section creates an image in my head of a mother dragging her naughty little boy out of church. He is dragging his heals because he knows what will come when he gets home. The mom bypasses the car and heads straight to the forest. Here we go---let the ride begin. In a few words, a vivid image is created of a shadow in a waterfall. Then Craig throws in a little twist with the absence of metaphor. So if metaphor is absence what does this do to the poem? Is everything he is saying literal? Is the character truly being dragged by his armpits into the woods? What does this all mean? Since the boy thinks these are his last thoughts, does he think he is being dragged to his death? Now that I am actually talking about the poem it appears to be the stereo-typical death or kidnapping of a child. At least, the portions that you hear on the news. As the poem continues…
She had said she wanted to hitch-hike
across the country wearing
a pair of cut-offs and a taco hat.

She had cupped my neck with her hand
and whispered this into my ear.

Now it appears to be an older character that is with his lover. What leads me to believe this is the way she cupped his neck with her hands and whispered in his ear. This seems to be very sensual. Although, I may be wrong. It just seems the way she wanted to hitch-hike in her cut-off shorts reminds me of a young couple going on an adventure across the country. Huh…
So why the shift and uncertainty? Of course it is intentional but it makes me crazy. I just want to understand.

1 comment:

Melanie said...

I love the first line you chose, Kacie. That line sums it all up for me.