Tuesday, February 6, 2007

Cheers to Death

Why is it that dreams contain a key into the past that your waking life has some how forgotten? I choose to "forget" certain parts of my life so that I can move on and make peace with my current situations. These are the events that have a tendencay to creep back into my life when I least expect it. Why is this? Now that you have a precurser here it goes... Death takes on an odd role in my dreams. I am always greatly impacted by the death of someone close while the rest of the world continues to go on leaving me crying a silent tear.
Basically, I was hanging out with my friend Marli and Paula in a living room with brown shag carpet and dark wood panelling on the wall. The phone rang and I picked it up with out thinking. "Kacie, it was an accident," was the reply on the other end of the phone. "He's dead, his grandmother ran a red light in downtown Denver." I fell to the floor and sobbed in such a way that my stomach hurt. I looked around and noticed that my friends were still chatting and continuing pouring themselves lava flows. Did they not see me on the ground rolling around sobbing? I continued this behavior for what seemed like a great deal of time. As if nothing happened, I jumped up and toasted Marli and took a long sweet sip of a lava flow and began to laugh.

3 comments:

Melanie said...

Kacie - The title you gave your dream was very, very interesting. Also, is a Lava Flow a drink or was there actually a volcano there, too. It's a dream, you know, it wouldn't be THAT weird to have an active volcano.

Jensen said...

If we grieve in a dream, does it make it easier to do it in 'real' life?

Ariana aka Leviathan said...

I would say no. At least for me. I keep wanting to add more to this post, but then I think perhaps I am being too cynical, too personal, or just inappropriate. Frankly, sometimes the only way to deal with something like death, especially immediately, is the classic grief step of denial. Pretending you don't hurt. Putting on a mask in public so people don't cross the street to avoid you. That's how I would describe this reaction to news of death.