Sunday, January 28, 2007

Dream a little dream... if it could only be so simple.

I like my dreams and I especially like that they are MINE. So naturally, you can imagine my reluctance to sharing my personal unconscious to 12 other classmates and the rest of the WORLD. But hey, what the heck, maybe it will end up being fruitful, cheap therapy for a mind that never has time to relax.

My nights consist of a multitude of dreams (I am envious of the people that are only disturbed once a night). Some are exhausting, confusing, disturbing, and rarely happy. I have never really thought about my dreams. They have always occurred in the same manner with me waking up, feeling somewhat disturbed, blinking multiple times to ensure that I am awake, jumping out of bed and continuing on with my crazy life. I guess I just assumed that the uncertainty of my dreams was part of why I enjoyed that realm of my personal life. It's personal...and I never know what part of my life I will revisit or what new story will be created when my head hits the pillow in sure exhaustion.

I am concerned for the people who evaluate dreams, maybe I should be concerned for myself this semester. I just can't help but wonder if this "other life" could in some way become disturbed if we spend too much time muddling through the uncertainty. I can't help but wonder if I truly examine why I continually dream about being lost, or in a maze, will it reveal some psychological problem that exists and end up sending me to a place I would rather not go (possibly a padded room). I already know I have issues- what person doesn't. My dreams are the place that my mental illnesses can surface without be disturbed, evaluated, and ridiculed.

Enough said...

I have spread my dreams beneath your feet. Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.
W.B. Yeats

3 comments:

Ariana aka Leviathan said...

I really like the Yeats quote. I, too, am exceedingly reluctant to share my dreams - for many of the same reasons - either in class or on my blog. I don't actually intend to include them on the world stage at this point in time.

Jensen said...

We have secret identities, passports to other worlds where we ARE and putting them on display in another realm of existence is like a cultural exhibit in a museum: frozen behind glass panes with very small notecards bearing a title and date as though that is enough to locate it in the universe.
All that to say, I hear you.

Melanie said...

Yes, Charity and Ariana are speaking my language. And, I, too really like the Yeats quote.

Where are the 6th grade love poems you promised to post?