Friday, April 6, 2007

What Am I Going To Do???

I am attempting to make sense of everything that is going on in my muddled head. How am I going to take the myth of Eros and Psyche and show how it has been displaced in the story of Cinderella and Bridget Jones Diary. Hmm? This is what I am thinking.

First, I want to look at the significance of the story itself and how it fits into the Mythos of Romance. (Frye)

Then I want to examine what happens to the story as it begins to become displaced directly in Cinderella.

Thirdly, what happens to the myth when it is taken one step further in Bridget Jones Diary. I will examine how Bridget Jones fits into Frye's Mythos of Irony

This is what I am exploring:
a. The relationship to these three stories is that all of the woman are "in love with love"
b. How are the symbols and elements replaced along the way?
c. I am going to argue that the mother figure is replaced with Bridget herself. Idea of the all encompassing female character of contemporary society. Bridget creates her own three tasks keeping her away from the "right" man.
d. I am also going to argue that Bridget Jones is told ironically because we live in an ironic world and not a romantic one.
e. In Hillman I am going to look at the shadow figure and how it relates to the interchangable characters in Bridget.

What happens to the original myth as it is displaced from a romantic story to an ironic one.

No comments: